 Robotics / 18368
Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:41:14 GMT

Laura O'Grady wrote:
Thanks to all that responded to my questions regarding batteries.  I was
concerned about a post I read in rec.toys.lego in which someone reported
problems after switching to alkaline rechargeable batteries (the post can
be seen at the following URL):

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=mindstorms+rechargeable+batteries&hl=en&lr=
&ie=UTF-8&selm=QztA7.188976%24bY5.891564%40news-server.bigpond.net.au&rnum=1

The problem reported seems to be associated with rechargeable alkalines
leaking at the terminals, rather than rechargeable batteries in general.

Well, all Alkaline batteries (rechargeable or not) do this if left in
equipment in a discharged state.

Both NiMH and rechargeable alkalines have a limited life and have to be
discarded sooner or later.  Some of the older ones claimed to be good for
only 100 charge/discharge cycles - and in practice would sometimes only
last for 20 or 30 cycles.  The more modern ones claim much longer lives,
but this leakage phenomenon is still a problem if they are left discharged.

I always recharge mine after use and I havn't seen any of these problems.

NiCd's (for all that Cadmium is bad for the environment) do have a (potentially)
infinite life - so in principle they never need to be discarded and as a result
could be said to be better for the environment than the alternatives.  However,
because they only generate 1.2 volts, they are not suitable for a lot of modern
equipment so they are probably on the way out.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net