 Robotics / 18370
Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 16:04:47 GMT

In article
<73718FFFA963C045BD5B74B2F9B1EBA515B778@gcgpo1.greenfieldgroup.com>,
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Rob Limbaugh) wrote:

Aren't rechargeable alkaline supposed to be better than NiMH?

Depends.  Rechargeable alkaline have a higher nominal voltage, but also
higher internal resistance than NiMH.  Under light load the alkalines
will provide a higher voltage for a longer period of time.  Under heavy
load, they provide less effective power than NiMH.  Someone (I'm sorry
that I forgot who) did some thorough testing with the RCX a while back
and the results were good enough to convince me to switch over to NiMH.

Don't NiMH batteries lose their charge just "sitting around" if not placed in
a trickle charger?

Yes, that's the Achille's Heel of NiMH - the shelf life isn't great.  If
you use your RCX once a week you probably won't notice the problem.  If
it sits on a shelf for months at a time, then you might be happier with
rechargeable alkaline.

I have a hybrid approach - mostly due to the fact that I already had
numerous sets of rechargeable alkalines before starting to buy NiMH.  I
leave rechargeable alkalines in most of my RCX's most of the time
(especially since they tend to go for months at a time unused).  When
I'm working on a project, as soon as the batteries are getting weak, I
pop out the rechargeable alkalines (to charge them), and replace with
some NiMH that I keep in a charger.

Dave Baum