 Robotics / 18356
    Rechargeable batteries and the RCX —Laura O'Grady
   Does anyone have any comments about using rechargeable batteries in the RCX? Has anyone had any bad experiences with this? Can anyone recommend whether NiMH is better or worse than NiCd? Thanks. Laura (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX —Mike Payson
     Thanks for asking this question. I've been meaning to do so myself. One of the books shows a modified RCX using a 9.6v RC battery pack. Another (or possibly the same one) talks about someone who increased the voltage of rechargables by using 5 AA, 1 (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX —Steve Baker
     (...) Definitely use NiMH's. NiCd's are a problem - they only generate 1.2 volts instead of the usual 1.5 of disposable batteries - and I've found that this *sometimes* causes problems with the RCX. I'm not sure exactly what the situations where it (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         RE: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX -- Firmware error
     Our class uses NiMH batteries. Haven't seen any problem... but we do have one problem off and on and I guess that could be related. On one RCX, we do get an error that the firmware needs to be downloaded quite often, and the battery level on the RCX (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX -- Firmware error —Trevyn Watson
     One or more of the battery contacts could have lost its springiness. Try bending all the contacts in towards the other side of the compartment (not too far!). Also, the contacts that supply the power from the batteries to the circuit board may be (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX —Laura O'Grady
     Thanks to all that responded to my questions regarding batteries. I was concerned about a post I read in rec.toys.lego in which someone reported problems after switching to alkaline rechargeable batteries (the post can be seen at the following URL): (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX —Steve Baker
     (...) Well, all Alkaline batteries (rechargeable or not) do this if left in equipment in a discharged state. Both NiMH and rechargeable alkalines have a limited life and have to be discarded sooner or later. Some of the older ones claimed to be good (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Rechargeable batteries and the RCX —Dave Baum
   (...) NiCd batteries are cheap, but that's about the only advantage to them. I'd suggest either NiMH or rechargeable alkaline depending on your usage habits. I actually use both types of batteries, but I probably won't bother replacing the (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)