 Robotics / 18033
Re: What's next for MindStorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 19:31:38 GMT

It looks like it's more along the lines of the micro-scout, but it sounds a
bit more capable. The $60 price can include more smarts, because there
aren't that many lego parts with each, only about 200.

I'll bet AFOL's can find a lot more to do with this.

I noticed one interesting part- a double-bevel gear that's smaller than a 40
tooth gear. We can always use more gear ratios!

I have a hunch that there might be something else in the works, because
Target had a panic sell-off of all their mindstorms kits at $99. They know
something! And these spy-bots are clearly not going to affect mindstorms sales.

In lugnet.robotics, Simeon H.K. Fitch writes:
In lugnet.robotics, "Laura O'Grady" <l.ogrady@sympatico.ca> writes:
I think there are plans for new kits and the theme is spying.

Thanks to you amazon.com reference, I did some searching and came up with
this review:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/358/358642p1.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a true MindStorms kit. Here's a quote
from the reviewer:

"...the Spybotics line draws its roots from the ever-popular MindStorms
systems. Spybotics, however, is aimed at a slightly younger audience and
generally takes the blocks into new territory. "

Bummer.

Simeon