 Robotics / 17620
Re: Discontinuous motion.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:49:44 GMT

Nice work!

Could you potentially use a ratchet mechanism or maybe a step motor set up
(with a rubber band) to help with the "coating" problem?

Jona
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Baker" <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
To: "Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com>
Cc: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: Discontinuous motion.

"Kevin L. Clague" wrote:

You can do this without modifying any gears.

To approximate a gear with teeth missing, all you need to do is have
the axle that drives the gear offset from the center of the gear.

For example on a 40T gear, just use one of the axle holes that is
not in the center of the gear.

I've tried that - it jams periodically when the teeth of one wheel
meet point-to-point against the teeth of the wheel it's driving.
This seems to be because of the strange angle at which the first
wheel approaches the second at it initially meshes.

HOWEVER: I have finally found a mechanism that works:

   http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/lego/discontinuous.html

...but it's still not really *precise*.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org