 Robotics / 17601
Re: Discontinuous motion.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:43:26 GMT

Great reference, thanks Bill.

I had forgotten about the Geneva mechanism.

Any interest, Steve? If you'd consider filing the teeth off a gear, how
about an honest to goodness made to measure couple of Geneva mechanism parts?

JB

In lugnet.robotics, "Wittig, Bill " <bill.wittig@delphiauto.com> writes:
Try looking at the mechanisms at =
http://www.brockeng.com/mechanism/index.htm.

I find this to be a great reference site for basic kinematics.

bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Baker [mailto:sjbaker1@airmail.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 12:07 AM
To: Lego Robotics
Subject: Discontinuous motion.

I'm trying to build a mechanism that converts continuous rotation on
one axle into a periodic short rotation on another.  I could imagine
a way to do this by filing off most of the teeth from one gear wheel
so that it would only turn an adjacent gear for a small part of it's
revolution - but I don't want to modify any Lego parts or use non-Lego
components.

I tried a couple of things (both failed):

* I attached a 24t gear to a 40t using a couple of black pegs through
   the holes around the edge of each wheel.  This made the teeth of the
   24t stick out a bit beyond the 40t's radius. Turning the 40t by it's
   center hole and meshing the 24t's teeth with a second 24t gear
   looks like it should work quite nicely.  When I turn this =
contraption
   by hand, the mechanism works OK - but when I motorize it, it jams
   every few seconds.

* I hooked up a reciprocating rod to a 40t wheel - and mounted a rack
   plate to the rod such that it just contacts an 8t gear for a short
   part of it's cycle.  This also works - and although it doesn't jam,
   it operates rather violently and tends to destroy itself in short
   order.  It's also incapable of transmitting any significant amount
   of power.

There must be a good way of doing this - but after an entire evening
of tinkering, I havn't come up with anything usable.

Help!

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
      http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net