 Robotics / 17342
Re: LIDARStation and LIDARDisp application finished
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:14:14 GMT

   I'd be very interested in seeing a two-axis controlled pan/tilt head
with an ultrasonic sensor on it. Such a device could perform a rudimentary
3D scan of a hemisphere of space. Alas, it would require so many IO ports
that putting it onto a mobile robot base would be nearly impossible.

Not really.  I believe this enough to try it soon. :)  Two motors to turn
and tilt the camera, and one for a differential drive setup(possibly using
the reverse differential device).  All the sensor ports would be used
however - 1 for the ultrasonic sensor and 2 for the rotation sensors.  A
datapoint is logged for every tick of the rotation sensor, then a 3d map of
the area is generated.  This would require some simple 3d programming on the
computer - easy things like simply transforming a polar coordinate into
cartesian, then into 3d.

Andy