 Robotics / 17341
Re: LIDARStation and LIDARDisp application finished
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:31:57 GMT

Mario Ferrari wrote:

"Chris 'Xenon' Hanson" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
  Well, my first serious Mindstorms project is complete.
http://www.arcticus.com
  Go to "Lego Robotics Projects".

Nice idea, Chris, very interesting project.

   Thanks, Mario. Love your work too, BTW.

I'd like to replicate your setup using John Barnes' Ultrasonic distance
sensor instead of the light sensor. This should increase the radius of the
scanned area, and make the device return the true distance instead of the
reflectivity of the objects.

   I think this would be a very useful modification. Wish I had an ultrasonic
sensor to do it with myself. ;)

   I will point out that the reason the entire assembly rotates is because I
wanted it to sweep continuously without stopping. The data logging issues
made that impossible. If I were to design it using an ultrasonic sensor,
I would only put the sensor on the rotating part, and stop and reverse the
sensor assembly at the end of each sweep to prevent wire coil-up. Balancing
the RCX and sensor mechanisms all on top of a little axle was part of what
made this project difficult, and I would avoid it if possible.

   I'm leaving my design as-is, because I hope to be able to use the RCX's
IR emitter as an illumination source in the future, and thus the whole RCX
will still need to rotate.

   But your ultrasonic design could be less complex and more robust. The
xlidarst.nqc code would only require minimal modifications, and the
lidardisp.cpp code would need no changes.

   Shout if you need any explanation of any of the code for either program.

   I'd be very interested in seeing a two-axis controlled pan/tilt head
with an ultrasonic sensor on it. Such a device could perform a rudimentary
3D scan of a hemisphere of space. Alas, it would require so many IO ports
that putting it onto a mobile robot base would be nearly impossible.

Mario

Chris - Xenon
--
  Chris Hanson | Xenon@3DNature.com | I've got friends in low latitudes!