 Robotics / 17278
Re: power source
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:31:44 GMT

You're right, I didn't realise it wasn't very clear.

What you do is you connect the positive wire from your power supply to
pin 1* of the 7809. Then connect the ground of the RCX and the power
supply to pin 2. Connect pin 3 to the positive battery terminal on the
RCX. I also put a diode in between pin 1 and the power supply.

Pin 1 is on the left if you can see the writing, with the leads at the
bottom and heatsink at the top.

You need to use the positive battery terminal at the end with the
numbers (serial number and "RCX x.0") and the negative bettery terminal
at the end with the IR emitter/receiver.

Make sure to take the edges off your blocks of wood (or use dowels),
otherwise the cover wont fit properly.

Also note that your supply voltage needs to be at least 1.2 volts above
your output voltage. An unregulated 9v power supply should do fine,
because they usually give a higher voltage.

I, of course, can take no responsibility for anything that might happen
to your RCX. Don't take my word for it, check the pinout on the 7809.
You can get the data sheet from
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM7805.pdf.

Trevyn.

Kingsley Gifford wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't really make out that photo.

Do I just connect the 7809 ic between the power supply and the rcx? Do I
connect to the + or - or use 2 and connect to both?

thanks