 Robotics / 17074
Re: repairing a broken 9v wire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:13:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Jonathan Wilson writes:
I have a piece of 9v wire that doesnt work.
However, it works if you fiddle with one end (hold/apply pressure to the
wire where it goes into the 2x2 plate). This suggests a loose connection
inside the wire somewhere.
Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this (so I can use it on my
next train project) or do I need to get a new wire? (being that this
will be on a train, its gonna be a bit hard for me to hold the wire in
place all the time :)

(xp'd to .robotics- there's probably more experience on the subject in this
group)

You should be able to pry apart the 2x2 end and repair the wires inside. I
haven't done this yet, but I've heard that this is possible.

I would pull out the existing wires and cut them back about an inch or two.
You can then strip the insulation and reinsert them into the plates. The
plates should just snap back together.

From what I hear you don't even need to strip the insulation, there are
tangs that press through it to make the connection

While you're prying it open you may want to replace it with a really long
wire for those cross layout power runs and use a different short one in your
model. Steve Ringe of the MichLTC did this (made long long long ones) with a
number of his for use at our recent show.