 Robotics / 16791
Re: Home-made One-way valve
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:32:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:

[snipped rant about light-bulbs]

What all these devices (except the lightbulb) have is reduced atmospheric
pressure.  They all store some small amount of gas - just less than in
the case of a container at normal atmospheric pressure.  As such, there is
absolutely no "vacuum" inside any of them.

Well, since a perfect vacuum has never (AFAIK) been shown to exist anyware
(even in space), I guess you're right. However a partial vacuum is easy to
"store" and "measure".

But still, I don't like the concept of storing nothing.  Answer me this:

* When you take more air out, do you get more vacuum?

Yes. As partial vacuum is expressed as pressure difference, reducing the
contents would increase the partial vacuum.

* If you double the size of a tank containing a fixed amount of
  air, do you have more vacuum or the same amount?

As above.

* If you maintain that there is *some* vacuum stored in your Lego tank
  when it is at half normal atmospheric pressure, how much vacuum is
  there in the air we are breathing?

As the pressure in our lungs is reduced when we breathe in, you could say
there's a partial vacuum in that particular situation. There are also
constantly minute pressure differences in the atmosphere, which cause nasty
stuff like wind & cyclones, so I guess you could say there's little partial
vacuums all around in the air.

* At what pressure can we say there is catagorically no vacuum present?

A more meaningful question would be "at what pressure *difference* can we
say there is categorically no vacuum present?" to which the answer is zero.

* If there is no vacuum stored in a sealed vessel at one atmosphere here
  on Earth - will it somehow gain some vacuum if we take it to someplace
  on Jupiter where the ambient pressure is 10 atmospheres?

Yes (or more correctly, the partial vacuum will increase).

* Does the vacuum leak out of the sealed tank if we take it up to the top of
  Mount Everest?

The partial vacuum decreases.

The whole concept of vacuum as a tangiable 'thing' that you can "store"
is just silly.  Like Phlogistron was to the ancient alchemists or 'The Ether'
was to pre-Einsteinian physicists.

However, it can be a useful tool.

You may argue that it's only a matter of terminology - akin to the mythical
"centrifugal force" that upsets physicists so much...but fuzzy thinking does
not belong in a scientific pursuit such as robotics - and we should endeavor
to stick with the correct way of viewing the world.

Just because we talk about 'Vacuum Pumps' and 'Vacuum Cleaners' doesn't
mean that the terms have physical meaning.  Scientists also use the term
'Centrifuge' even though they know that these machines work by momentum
rather than by some peculiar force that operates on objects that move
in a circle.

I have no problem using "fuzzy thinking" if it helps to explain something.

Lowering the air pressure in the Lego tank allows the system to do work
by having the higher pressure outside the tank refill it.  There is no
"vacuum" anywhere in the system.

There is not a complete vacuum. There is a partial vacuum.

So I checked with the local supplier of industrial gases. If you need a
tank of compressed air, that's no problem. But a tankful of vacuum, er
that's not listed in the catalogue.

I'm sure they have a price for "Empty Tanks" in that catalog.  If they
delivered the empty tank with air at one atmosphere in it, that would be
just a bonus!  You'd have a tank full of vacuum *AND* some free air.

  :-)

But then, they are a supplier of gases rather than a supplier of empty tanks
;)
Besides, almost everyone owns a vacuum cleaner, and so can create their own
vacuum easilly enough.

A vacuum cleaner is poorly named.  If it actually did create a vacuum,
it would have to be bunged up because it relies on the outside air rushing
into it's lower pressure chamber to push the dust and dirt inside.

Creating an actual vacuum (a total lack of particles) is essentially
impossible - even deep interstellar space has hydrogen gas at densities
of millions of atoms per cubic meter.

However creating a partial vacuum is fairly easy, and as most people agree
total vacuum is impossible, I think it's reasonable to assume that most
people mean "partial vacuum" when they talk about "vacuum" (even if they
don't realise it). I used this assumption myself in answering your questions
above - if the assumption was wrong, the answers are meaningless (as are
most of the questions) 8?)

ROSCO