 Robotics / 16361
Re: RC enabling mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:21:00 GMT

This is an interesting thread, in as much as I have a couple
of RCX R/C evaluation units currently being tested.

Having already built a UHF extender to sit between the PC
and the RCX IR communications interface, I can say that it
is of doubtful value, only because it cost about as much as
an RCX (~$125) to build. Given the choice I would go for
the second RCX!

But once you start building with multiple RCXs, the value of
the Lego IR remote rapidly diminishes, because it commands
all RCXs at once.

That is why I came up with a "receiver brick". The brick is
active sensor compatible and converts button pushes from a
remote transmitter very similar to a keyless entry device into
different sensor readings. The readings can be decoded by the
RCX software to perform any desired functions.

I actually intended it to be used for "supervisory" functions
but I can see it being used to build remote controlled RCX
based "things" too.

The details will go up on the HiTechnic stuff website in a week
or two.

JB

Ben Firshman wrote:

This is a VERY bad idea...

You could get a standard RC kit from a model shop and some how make the
servos (motors) to activate a touch sensor.

Told you it was a bad idea - it would have to have four batteries as
well as the 6 in the RCX... It was also be costly - a 4 channel RC kit
costs about £100 (approx $140).

I wouldn't approach the problem like that at all.

I think you could take the servomotor pulses and feed them into a sensor
port of the RCX - it might take a little analog signal conditioning - but
I doubt it's hard to do.  The RC reciever could be run from the RCX's
batteries (again, you'll need to mess with the voltage levels to get them
right).

Certainly, 4 channel RC gear is expensive - but the two channel kinds they
use for cars are *VERY* much cheaper.

I don't think this is an unreasonable project for someone with a little
electronic skills.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
      http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net