 Robotics / 15733
Re: RC enabling mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 02:42:22 GMT

-------------------
I am in the early stages of trying to develop an RC(Remote Control) • system
for the RCX. That is, using radio transmission instead of • IR(Infrared). Why
you ask? Because the limitations of the IR systems are driving me • nuts. So
my question for you is, has anyone attempted this before?

I believe John Barnes has already done a first-class job of a remote
control for Legos, though not by modifying an RCX, if memory serves.

I figure what better way to learn than to
dive in and start working. I realize there is limited space in the • RCX, but
I'm thinking maybe a separate piece would be build that is connected • to the
RCX via wire, maybe and input port? Thoughts, comments?

We are working on a 916 MHz card for JCX, our replacement for RCX.
It's a bit like putting a V8 in a Volkswagen bug. The 916 MHz will be
ab ad-hoc peer to peer networking option, with a node for the PC too
(any PC with a serial port, and Java support), all coded in Java. We
expect to have the first production JCX systems shipping later this
summer.

More at www.jrealtime.com->Products->JCX or directly at
http://www.jcx.systronix.com

Bruce Boyes