 Robotics / 16251
Re: (Un)steerable Shrimp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:34:25 GMT

"Elijah Meeker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
I'm still experimenting with this issue, too. I don't have much success
to report yet.

I hit upon near total success last night, and the solution turns out to
be very simple (surprise!). It is an ordeal for me to get pics on the
web at the moment (I'm inbetween ISPs), but here it is in essence.

The side of the shrimp is 4U high (I am not sure the common lego term,
but for this email 1u = a brick plus two plates, then subtract two
plates from the total). There should be no spaces left between the
bricks, otherwise the liftarm plates will find places to catch. Place
one medium pulley between the bogey arm and the body of each axle. Place
two 1x7 lift arm plates (32065) vertically, between the arms and the
body, as far out front and back from the axle as possible, and attached
to the normally horizontal arms of the bogey.
Heh, I am not sure *I* can follow that, but that will have to do for
now.

I can't wait to see the pictures :-)

At any rate, they are now laterally stronger, and slide without
obstruction.

Oh, one last thing, I never realized until I started stuffing flex hose
into them how widely the tollerences vary on black pins. It's amazing
considering the exacting tollerences of the outsides. I wonder if they
feed black tube into the mold, heat it and blow air in so as to get the
exact outside tollerences they need.

You know that there are different kinds of black pins, don't you? There has
been a recent change in the thickness of their wall:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=14515

Mario