 Robotics / 16248
Re: (Un)steerable Shrimp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:14:55 GMT

I agree. In my SHRIMP II version I reduced the length of the front arm from
16 to 12 studs, and this affected negatively the maximum height of the
obstacle that the platform can overcome.

Hmmm, any ideas on maximum length?

Steering issues:

[snip] I don't have any micromotors
but I am hoping they will have suitable power for turning the turntable
via a worm gear. If anyone is sure they won't I would greatly appreciate
a heads up.

I'm pretty sure they won't work. They are s-l-o-w and w-e-a-k. Suitable
only for moving light loads slowly.

I totally agree. Micromotors won't work.

Well rats. Now I am back to a flexible connection between the front
wheel and the body, or put another motor on it, the latter being far
less desirable due to weight. Maybe Graiger's sells rare earth magnets
that fit lego motors...:o)

Here's a temporary page where you can find the pictures of my SHRIMP II :
http://www.geocities.com/mario.ferrari/shrimp2/shrimp2.html

A full description of it will appear in my coming  book "Building Robots
with Lego Mindstorms".

Oh very cool, I look forward to it!

Thanks for the pics. The SHIMP, for all it's promise, is quite a
challenge to build. Every picture helps!

I join Brian's thanks. Nice job, Elijah, and nice pictures.

And thank you Mario for the intitial inspiration as well as both of you
for the ongoing ideas. I am having a blast.

Elijah