 Robotics / 16150
Re: Solar panels, capacitor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:07:12 GMT

I have not run a RCX with the Solar Cells. I would think you would require
three cells and three capacitors connected in series to provide 7.5 volts to
the RCX. This would require making an adapter from the wire brick to the
power input of the RCX. This would depend on the RCX you own. You would have
to install the Firmware and your program under battery power, connect the
solar array and go outside into the sun and remove the batteries. I think
you could run one motor and operate a touch sensor. The robot will have to
be well made to use the least power as the cells are heavy and the weight
of the RCX will tax the required power. If you use too much power you will
loose the program and the firmware. IR communication does not work in the
sun so forget messages and light sensors. The rotation sensor does use power
also and may waste power. I only have two of these units and I know 5 volts
is very marginal as you can see on my projects at:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/Solar.htm

--
Bob Fay

"J G Gregory" <jgg@ultranet.com> wrote in message
Thanks for your response, but it really didn't address my questions.
1. How are these things supposed to be connected to an RCX?
2. Assuming that I could get power to it, would the RCX run with a solar
panel (300ma) if I didn't connect any motors?