 Robotics / 16149
Re: Solar panels, capacitor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:59:49 GMT

Thanks for your response, but it really didn't address my questions.
1. How are these things supposed to be connected to an RCX?
2. Assuming that I could get power to it, would the RCX run with a solar
panel (300ma) if I didn't connect any motors?

I just don't understand how these can appear on the Mindstorms page and yet
there is no way to use them with Mindstorms.  You would need a switch at
least, but they don't sell that anymore.

--Jack Gregory

Rich Thompson <rich@robotthoughts.com> wrote in message
There is hardly enough current to move a motor. You would need about 9-11
Solar Panels and a bright sunny day to power the RCX. My only attempt at
working with this solar panel can be seen here:

http://www.robotthoughts.com/article.php?sid=26

Rich Thompson
http://www.robotthoughts.com

In lugnet.robotics, Jack Gregory writes:
In the latest SAH catalog (Fall 2001, rec'd today in Massachusetts), in • the
Mindstorms section, there are two "new" parts.  One is a solar panel, and
the other is a capacitor.

I know these are former/current Dacta items.  The page also says to go to
www.lego.com/dacta for "more information on how to use energy in your
creations" (or something like that, I am paraphrasing).

But I can't find anything there on this subject, especially about these
parts.

So, can these really be used in any way?  Can the RCX be powered by • either
for even a brief or partial time?  For example, could I use them for • running
the RCX and sensors, but not motors?  I can't believe there is even • enough
current from either to do much with motors.

And the worst thing: how are you supposed to use these things?  It seems
like a terribly uncoordinated thing for LEGO to do to sell these.  Both
units appear to have the standard 2x2 connector plate area, but I am not
aware of a way to get that into an RCX.  Or am I missing something?

--Jack Gregory