 Robotics / 16144
Re: Solar panels, capacitor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 03:00:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Check here,
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/Solar.htm

--
Bob Fay

"J G Gregory" <jgg@ultranet.com> wrote in message
news:GJKtKy.Du9@lugnet.com...
In the latest SAH catalog (Fall 2001, rec'd today in Massachusetts), in • the
Mindstorms section, there are two "new" parts.  One is a solar panel, and
the other is a capacitor.

I know these are former/current Dacta items.  The page also says to go to
www.lego.com/dacta for "more information on how to use energy in your
creations" (or something like that, I am paraphrasing).

But I can't find anything there on this subject, especially about these
parts.

So, can these really be used in any way?  Can the RCX be powered by either
for even a brief or partial time?  For example, could I use them for • running
the RCX and sensors, but not motors?  I can't believe there is even enough
current from either to do much with motors.

And the worst thing: how are you supposed to use these things?  It seems
like a terribly uncoordinated thing for LEGO to do to sell these.  Both
units appear to have the standard 2x2 connector plate area, but I am not
aware of a way to get that into an RCX.  Or am I missing something?

--Jack Gregory