 Robotics / 15731
  RC enabling mindstorms

I am in the early stages of trying to develop an RC(Remote Control) system for the RCX. That is, using radio transmission instead of IR(Infrared). Why you ask? Because the limitations of the IR systems are driving me nuts. So my question for you is, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RC enabling mindstorms

---...--- (...) system (...) IR(Infrared). Why (...) nuts. So (...) I believe John Barnes has already done a first-class job of a remote control for Legos, though not by modifying an RCX, if memory serves. I figure what better way to learn than to (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RC enabling mindstorms

Hello, John Barnes did build a IR to RC and back converter for the RCX, but I thought he said it turned out quite expensive. Now he's working on an own (for the moment) one way RC system capable of driving Lego motors. See a thread of a few months (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jul-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RC enabling mindstorms

In message <LPBBJCMJLFMGKMEJLJE...c.rr.com>, Sean Watson <SeanWatson@ec.rr.com> writes (...) This is a VERY bad idea... You could get a standard RC kit from a model shop and some how make the servos (motors) to activate a touch sensor. Told you it (...) (23 years ago, 21-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RC enabling mindstorms

(...) I wouldn't approach the problem like that at all. I think you could take the servomotor pulses and feed them into a sensor port of the RCX - it might take a little analog signal conditioning - but I doubt it's hard to do. The RC reciever could (...) (23 years ago, 21-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RC enabling mindstorms

This is an interesting thread, in as much as I have a couple of RCX R/C evaluation units currently being tested. Having already built a UHF extender to sit between the PC and the RCX IR communications interface, I can say that it is of doubtful (...) (23 years ago, 22-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)