 Robotics / 15680
Re: Of Interest To Robotics Folks? Perhaps...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:52:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos Perez" <carlos@cs.buap.mx>
To: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>; "Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com>
Cc: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 7:26 PM
Subject: Re: Of Interest To Robotics Folks? Perhaps...

All this is besides the point! Lego should support Mac, simply because it
should!

The Mac is an option for consumers (whom some people say is much superior • to
Windoze), and while it's there companies and organisms -especially those • in
education- should support it! Now don't tell me the Lego is not in
education. Lego is DEFINITLY in the business educating (education is also
achieved at home, not only in school, and that is where those who say that
the DACTA product is enough are dead wrong)!
There you have a point!

If we simply wanted our children to have fun we would buy them G.I Joes • (or
whatever is hot nowadays)! We buy Lego because it not only entertains, it
also educates. I (want to) believe that Lego is an 'enlightened' company • for
the reason. It is a company that cares about its consumers, and about
giving them a good product; not just about stats and figures, or what is
more profitable! Now, supporting the Mac is what an 'enlightened' company
would do.
Correct, but Lego is more and more stopping to be an enlightened company!
(see below)

Lets not forget that Lego bricks in general, and the RCX in particular, • are
an educational TOY. They are meant for children. As a CS graduate I *love*
Linux (and most flavors of UNIX for that matter, and truly dislike Windoze
for the crappy OS that it is). I prefer NQC, and particularly LegOS over • the
RIS packaged SW; but I would NEVER want my 6 year old having to install
LegOS!

The ideal situation is this: He plugs the USB tower directly to my home • Imac
(yes I use Mac at home, even if I use Solaris at work), inserts the CD • that
automatically install itself, and starts playing! A while later he turns
back at me SMILING and says: "Look dad it follows the line!"

I think that Lego is more about childrens' smiles than about supporting • only
"profitable" OSs.
The "true" spirit of Lego is, but I think that's what Lego is more and more
drifting away of.  Lego is evolving into just another toy manufacturer that
makes things children can play with, like dolls for instance: the child
likes something new, plays with it for a while, and then puts it aside for
something else. I guess that it all begun with the new "city" sets: big,
highly specified pieces you can easily put together.  For Lego artists
that's crap, because it's difficult to find another use for such a brick.
The accent came to lie on the playing, and not anymore on the building, on
the toy itself (like it was in earlier times).  Thus, Lego turned into just
another ordinary toy. And thus, Lego had to become profitable like any other
toy company, especially since Lego had made its first major loss in its
history last year (?).  TLC was seeing that it was becoming a company that
has to fight for its market share, thus needs to be profitable.  So they
actually can't afford to do huge noble things like supporting a non-major
OS, because that isn't as cost effective as putting the same people to work
on support for the one major OS (winblows/windoze/whatever you'd like to
call it).  Which is very sad, because Lego is all about value and education,
and should be different from all those unscrupulous-profit-hunting toy
companies. and that difference is fading away way too quickly...

Sniff...

And now let's keep up all our good work and prepare to take over TLC's role
in the community which TLC's dumping if necessary!  Long live the AFOL's and
their children!

Greetings,

Simon Bogaert