 Robotics / 15517
Re: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 14:29:05 GMT

I don't understand all the problems about blown IR-LEDs and don't believe anyone will ever see 1A flowing through his IR-LED's.

My experience:
I'm doing contiunuous data transfers for hours in long range mode, with fresh batteries I measure 100 mA peak IR-LED current in long range mode (Hiroki Shirakawa measured the same value);
No problems at all (9V alkaline battery in IR tower and NiCd batteries in RCX).

Some other points to concider:
- The nominal forward voltage is 1.5V @ 100 mA and increases to 3V @ 1A (specifications from SFH485)
- The oscillator is started / stopped at every bit change (not a good idea), the startup time of the oscillator could be a problem ?
- Normal duty cycle is only 25% ( 0.5 for 38 kHz modulator and 0.5 for bit balancing)
- If you're look at the specs of 9V alkaline batteries they all go to a maximum of 100 mA

So the only ways to blow up the IR-LED's is in my opinion are:
- use of wrong netadapter, too high voltage or too low internal impedance
- bad starting oscillator (maybe due to not-bit-balancing software ?)

For who's interested, I've put all my personal notes about the IR tower (including schematics from John Barnes, Hiroki Shirakawa, keeping tower alive and battery-less IR-tower) on my webpage
  http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~smientki/Lego_Knex/Lego_electronica/IR_tower/IR_tower.htm

Ralph Hempel wrote:

The following information is my own opinion and not
endorsed or verified in any way by LEGO.

Stef Mientki