 Robotics / 15515
RE: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 12:52:12 GMT

Matthias wrote:

I'm hard pressed to understand why one would need to continually
transmit from either the RCX or the tower? Data logging comes to mind,
but there aren't many cases where there is a need for this.

The use of alternative firmware such as pbForth, legOS and leJOS
usually requires frequent upload/download cycles, and may use long
communications periods.

Listening can, of course, be done continously. The simple software
solution is to time the transmissions. Continuous data bursts would be
acceptable, but should time out if they go on too long.  Adding or
changing an internal resistor to limit the current through the IRLED
is a solution of course but it does so by dissipating some of the
energy through the resistor (in the form of heat) in order to
dissipate less through the LED. A better solution is to use one or two
extra LED's in series with the first. Each LED will provide about 1.2V
drop and will limit the current through both LED's, but will do so by
dissipating energy through the LED's as useful light, rather than as
wasted heat.

I agree on this point, but that will affect the low power range more
as well. There would be extra light from the IREDs to compensate. The
RCX is pretty tight and I had some fiddling to do just to fit in the
resistor!

It is pretty easy to have a bug in your serial code that will cause the
IRED to be on for way longer than it should. I've had the RCX get warm
to the touch near the IRED (I'm guessing the drive transistor was
taking the brunt of the abuse)

On another issue, I have both an RIS 1.5 and an RIS 1.0. Neither one
has an IR transmitter that accepts an external power supply. How did
you split off the power to both the RCX and the tower?

Using a Y cable and 9V battery clip and a sponge block to make it look
like a battery.

Also, if you (or anyone else) are using an unregulated power supply,
be forewarned: the rated voltage on most power supplies is the RMS
value. That is to say a 12VAC transformer is supplying 12VAC RMS, not
12VAC Peak. That's 16.97V peak output voltage that the electronics
within both the RCX and the IR transmitter has to be able to withstand
- albeit momentarily. The RCX 1.0 is designed with this in mind (a
bridge rectifier, good filtering and an 5V internal regulator that can
has a guaranteed stable output with a 54V (that's fifty-four) input.
What I can't say for sure is if they LED's within the RCX are
connected to the output of the regulator (in which case they see no
more than 5V) or to the input of the regulator (which could be almost
17V). I tend to think they may be connected to the input of the
regulator because, while the regulator can withstand an input voltage
of 54V, it can only supply a maximum of something like 50mA.

Yes, this is a known issue. I've gone to using a regulator for the
supply from the wal-wart. Actually, I bough a regulated (5%) unit
from Digikey.

<snip>

As an aside, I noticed that your signiture identifies you as a p.eng.
In what field? I gather (with all due respect) that it isn't
electronics?

Ouch ... it's an Electrical Engineering degree from the University
of Waterloo - with a CS minor on top.

I'm aware of all the issues you bring up in this note, I just
summarized my points to open up the floor for discussion.
Obviously, if more folks like you can take the time to expand
on specific issues, it will help us all understand the problem
better.

Thanks for taking the time to read the original post and enter
a thought - provoking series of replies.

Regards, Ralph Hempel

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com