 Robotics / 15507
RE: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 18:55:31 GMT

Hi all,

Just a couple a quick comments on this thread - I'm a firmware design
engineer who's done lots of work with IrDA.  I don't, however, have any
experience with the internals of the RCX or the IR Tower, other than owning
them and reading this list.  I think that putting a 50 ohm resistor in
series with the IR LEDs will limit you to something less than "near-mode"
permanently.  The IR circuitry is *designed* to pump as much current as
possible/available through the IR LEDs, far exceeding their "rated"
capacity.  They are kept from being destroyed by limiting the duty cycle.
Say you have an LED rated at 20mA forward current, and you're pumping 1000mA
through it.  If you keep the duty cycle at 1/50, everything works fine, and
you gain about a 7x increase in range (inverse square law - sqrt(50)).
You're trading bandwidth for range.  Higher current = lower duty cycle =
longer range = lower bandwidth.  Lower current = higher duty cycle = shorter
range = higher bandwidth.  Now, what everyone in the Lego world calls
"firmware", isn't.  It's the operating system.  The real "firmware" is what
is permanently stored in the Hitachi processor's ROM (or Flash).  What you
are calling firmware gets loaded into volatile RAM, so technically it is not
firmware, but software.  So, given that the duty cycle of the IR LEDs is
controlled by software that can be changed easily by the user, then yes, it
is very possible to destroy the RCX by running bad code.  A safer design
would have been to put the low level IR code into callable subroutines in
the RCX's "real" firmware, the ROM.  I don't know about the issue with the
IR tower, but I suspect that it has more to do with using an unregulated
wall wart with too high a voltage.  Just my two cents,

-Jim Lee