 Robotics / 15510
RE: Custom Firmware, IR Problems, and Dead RCXs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 16:49:21 GMT

Ralph,

Thank you for painting a much clearer picture of the internal design of the
IR Tower.  I agree with your observations, but have a question:  Is the
processor in the IR Tower controllable (i.e. downloadable, like the RCX)?
If it is, then there's no reason to let the IR duty cycle get as high as
50%.  You can keep the same baud rate and framing characteristics, but
modify the individual bits so that they only turn on for, say, the first 10%
of their allotted bit time.  At the other end of the link, all that needs to
be done is to have the receiver sample each bit earlier in the cycle, during
the first 10% rather than near the midpoint.  Of course, if the IR Tower and
RCX cannot be programmed to do this, then we're stuck with the design flaw
and your modifications would be entirely reasonable.

-Jim Lee

P.S. - I am fairly new to the group, so my apologies for not recognizing
your name and credentials - I thought you were a Lego newbie like me :-)