 Robotics / 15306
Re: MIDI and WAV on the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:41:12 GMT

hi Guido,

I've tried your wav2rcx, for some wav files it works nice, but a lot of wav files cann't be read.

I've made a similar program (very quick and dirty in Delphi) using the pcm-streaming capabilities of windows, so windows does all the decoding for me, and therefore it can read (almost) any wav files. Maybe an idea for your program too.

As we discussed a few months ago, you use real FFT, where I use simply zerocrossing detection.
I've compared the results of both programs on laser.wav, here are the results:
The frequencies of your program are added as comment, nice resemblance, not ?

task main()
{
PlayTone(2150,t); Wait(w);  // 172
PlayTone(2950,t); Wait(w);    //3186
PlayTone(4650,t); Wait(w);    //5167
PlayTone(4200,t); Wait(w);    //4651
PlayTone(2950,t); Wait(w);    //2756
PlayTone(2200,t); Wait(w);    //1981
PlayTone(1600,t); Wait(w);    //1550
PlayTone(1300,t); Wait(w);    //1205
PlayTone(1100,t); Wait(w);    //1119
PlayTone(850,t); Wait(w);    //861
PlayTone(800,t); Wait(w);    //775
PlayTone(600,t); Wait(w);    //689
PlayTone(600,t); Wait(w);    //602
PlayTone(450,t); Wait(w);    //516
PlayTone(450,t); Wait(w);    //430
PlayTone(350,t); Wait(w);    //344
}

I think, if you want to improve sound, you have to do something with ampltude, for instance by substituting pauzes in it (you can do it with my program, it has a minimum level, below which it substitutes pauzes in stead of tones), If you'd like to try it, I've put executable and sources in an self-extracting zip-file. It also contains a file ghost.wav which can not be translated with your program.

    http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~smientki/download/wav2rcx2b.exe

At the moment I'm busy with other things, but sounds have still my interest, so if you come with something new, I'd like to here form you.
Succes.

Guido Truffelli wrote:

Hi there,

I want inform you all that during Easter holidays I've improved my MIDI2RCX
and WAV2RCX utilities.
MIDI2RCX can convert standard MIDI files in NQC or C (LegOS) source files,
that can be downloaded and played on the RCX.  This new version improves the
note length calculation and can output a txt file too. Of course you'll
obtain the best results using single track files.
WAV2RCX extracts dominant frequencies from standard WAV files and generates
an NQC or C source file,
that contains the sequence of these frequencies.  Of course this method
gives very poor results with speech or noise.
This version adds NQC support and has been tested with 2.0 firmware too.
You can dowload them from http://www.aga.it/~guy/lego.htm

Hi, Guido
E-Mail guy@aga.it
Web www.aga.it/~guy