 Robotics / 15343
R: MIDI and WAV on the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 07:28:14 GMT

Hi Stef,

I've tried your wav2rcx, for some wav files it works nice, but a lot of
wav files cann't be read.
I couldn't handle very well the optional "fact" chunks in the WAV file, but
now I fixed that problem

I've made a similar program (very quick and dirty in Delphi) using the • pcm-streaming capabilities of windows,
so windows does all the decoding for me, and therefore it can read • (almost) any wav files.
Maybe an idea for your program too.
Yes, it's a nice idea: however I think that it's much simpler reading WAV
files directly than using the SDK functions! :-)
and in this way the source code can be compiled on any platform. Sooner or
later I'll add a GUI to both *2RCX programs, but maybe it will be only a
frontend to the command line utilities (like RCXCC and NQC).

As we discussed a few months ago, you use real FFT, where I use simply
zerocrossing detection.
I gave a look to your sources, but of course I couldn't understand your
algorithm :-)
If it's a simple thing, can you explain me how it works briefly?

I've compared the results of both programs on laser.wav, here are the • results:
The frequencies of your program are added as comment, nice resemblance,
not ?
Yes, they are very similar for laser.wav.  Why do you round the resulting
frequencies to multiples of 25?

I made some experiments on ghost.wav (now I can read it!) and I noticed that
your program gave much better results than mine, i.e. the resulting RCX
sound seemed much closer to the original.  So I began exploring some way to
improve my code and at 1:00 AM I found a very simple modification that gives
even better results!
I'll try it on other samples and if it continues to perform well even when
I'm not sleeping, I'll release a new version of wav2rcx.

I think, if you want to improve sound, you have to do something with
ampltude, for instance by substituting pauzes in it (you can do it with my
program, it has a minimum level, below which it substitutes pauzes in stead
of tones), If you'd like to try it,
WAV2RCX generates pauses for frequencies below 32 Hz, but I'll try also to
ignore low energy ones too: great idea!

I've put executable and sources in an self-extracting zip-file. It also • contains a file
ghost.wav which can not be translated with your program.
Thank you very much for providing the file, so that I could fix the bug.

At the moment I'm busy with other things, but sounds have still my • interest, so if you come with something new,
I'd like to here form you.
Of course ... stay tuned :-)

Hi, Guido