 Robotics / 15172
Re: How about ideas for new elements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:48:36 GMT

That sounds familiar. When I think up a new model, I invariably have that
one critical piece that requires modification. Without the piece, the model
just wouldn't work.

I wouldn't dare touch my 40t gears either. It would be different if I had
100 of them, but having just a few makes them too valuable.

Here's an idea: If you absolutely have to modify a valuable part (like a 40t
gear) to make the model of a lifetime, then buy one and modify it. I know
you can buy 40t gears individually on the internet. Although expensive,
you'll only need a few and it will make your model work.

Just keep it in your mind that the new part is an addition to your
collection and by irreversibly modifying it, you're not changing or
destroying your original collection.

Oh well, that's just my perspective.

T. J.

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Lane writes:
I just can't bring myself to do it. Although last night I dreamed up a
vehicle and the success of the whole project may depend on boring out the
holes on three 40t gears, so they spin on their axles. That's all it needs
just the three gears, I'm tempted but have managed to hold out so far. I
dont think I could bring myself to take a drill bit to a gear.

Steve