 Robotics / 14774
RE: lego cap, polarity, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:58:12 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Boyes [mailto:bboyes@systronix.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 5:29 PM
To: David Powell; lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: lego cap, polarity, etc

Right, what I was trying to say is that a bridge can't 'invert' a DC input
of one polarity to make an output of another polarity - it can't "correct"
anything, a diode can only conduct or not conduct. All a bridge can do is
route the given DC input through one leg or the other of the bridge.

Agreed - a bridge is not an inverter.

Pardon this poor representation of the circuit:

     +---|<----+----|<---+
     |         |         |
     |         B (batt)  |
     |         |         |
             +    (cap)

The bridge is able to correctly 'route' the current to the polarized cap so
that the battery (B) may be connected in either direction, and in this sense
is able to "correct" the polarity.  This is OK since the cap is "floating".
An inverter would be needed to change the polarity with respect to a common
ground.  Is this what you meant?

Kevin McCoy