 Robotics / 14766
Re: lego cap, polarity, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:28:30 GMT

At 15:01 3/27/2001 -0800, David Powell wrote:

A bridge only works with an AC input - it can't correct the polarity of a
DC input. So the Lego cap either has an AC input possibly through a
bridge or a DC input which is the correct polarity by means of its
connectors.

Uh, a bridge wouldn't be very good if it didn't handle inputs that
switched polarities.  A bridge should work just fine with a DC input of
any polarity (of course for any DC input, only half of the bridge is
actually being used).

Right, what I was trying to say is that a bridge can't 'invert' a DC input
of one polarity to make an output of another polarity - it can't "correct"
anything, a diode can only conduct or not conduct. All a bridge can do is
route the given DC input through one leg or the other of the bridge.

Bruce
------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
  Real embedded Java and much more
     High speed 8051 systems