 Robotics / 14764
14763  |  14765
Subject:
lego cap, polarity, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:15:15 GMT

At 10:25 3/27/2001 -0500, John Barnes wrote:
This whole Lego capacitor thing strikes me as somewhat intriguing.

The super-caps, which are doubtless used, absolutely cannot be charged
backwards, they have to have the correct polarity. And all the Lego
electrical "stuff" like the RCX sensors, have been carefully designed to
be insensitive to polarity. So;

I assume the Lego capacitor has some kind of bridge rectifier in it to
ensure that the capacitor component itself is charged with the correct
polarity. So;

How do they get the power back out? Is there a seperate in and out
connector? Is there some very clever circuitry which "remebers" which
way the inputs were connected so it will discharge back out of the
input terminals with the correct output polarity?

I don't have one, but can make some guesses.  A bridge only works with an
AC input - it can't correct the polarity of a DC input. So the Lego cap
either has an AC input possibly through a bridge or a DC input which is the
correct polarity by means of its connectors.

I'm curious too.

Bruce
------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
  Real embedded Java and much more