 Robotics / 14749
Re: Solar Cell Output in Direct Sunlight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:21:54 GMT

Will Middelaer wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:

I agree - and another factor is the angle of the panel to the incident
light.  The amount of light varies as the cosine of the angle of the
sun to a line thats perpendicular to the panel.  Building some kind of
a mechanism that tilts the panel into the light might have some payback.

The experts say that such a scheme can increase total power collected by up
to 40%, though I'm not sure if this includes the power required to drive the
steering mechanism.

That sounds about the right number.

Whether it's enough to cover the cost of driving it depends on the nature
of the vehicle.  If it's something that only goes in straight lines then
in can adjust the panel one time - and then only have to make *tiny*
adjustments to track the sun as it moves across the sky.

However, if you were planning on using it to drive something that whizzes
round in circles - then you could EASILY expend more energy in driving the
panel than you could possibly save.

So the answer has to be application-dependent.

I suspect that 40% figure was for static installations.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>