 Robotics / 14702
    Curved Feet —Andy Gombos
   Hi, Skip to the bottom for the question :) I am getting back into building robots now, and decided I wanted to build a 2 legged walker. I looked at the various Lego solutions, and realized that none used pneumatics. That began my quest to build a (...) (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Curved Feet —Chris Magno
     (...) Andy: That's an interesting site. I can't think of a way to make curved feet, BUT there is the 1x6 sloped beam. as seen here: (URL) was thinking that if you used two of these with the "studs" pointing down, you might be able to replicate that (...) (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Curved Feet —Pete Sevcik
     After viewing the walder movie, I wonder if it would work with flat feet, and an ankle joint? Gravity would keep the flat foot pointed down when the leg was lifted. - pete. (...) -- Pete Sevcik sevcik@flash.net Techno-stuff Robotics (URL) for FUN ! (23 years ago, 24-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Curved Feet —Scott D. Yelich
      Is this set still available? If so, does anyone know where it may be purchased? (URL) (23 years ago, 24-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

          RE: Curved Feet —Russell C. Brown [RR-1]
      Scott, I see this set frequently on eBay. There are six there now. Just search for "8880". I got two that way. It's a great set, though I feel that the suspension and joints to transmit driving power to the wheels are rather inflexible. Most of the (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Curved Feet —Simon Bogaert
      Hello, (...) With a little bit of tuning, you can use the suspension system so that the axles are flat, hence less friction. It's just a pity that this system is limited to one type of wheels. (...) Who cares? What I'm missing in some of the current (...) (23 years ago, 11-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Curved Feet —Russ Brown
      Your comment about the wheels is the main annoyance of the inflexibility I mentioned. Re beams: Heh, I had several of the old Expert Builder Sets so I had an overload of beams. I've been buying lots of parts trying to bring up my inventory of more (...) (23 years ago, 12-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Curved Feet —Andy Gombos
     What kind of ankle joint? A motorized one, or passive one? If it is the first type I think the leg will be too heavy to be moved quickly. That is critical since the robot falls onto itself. Looking closer at the design, I think that you only need to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Curved Feet —Micah J. Mabelitini
     (...) What about using #32250 liftarms? They may not be large enough for your needs, but here's a pic: (URL) Regards Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918 The University of Kentucky SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center accutron@kih.net - (...) (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Curved Feet —Sean Harrington
     Andy, I think the curved foot concept is the wrong direction for a two-legged mechanism. The few simple two-legged mechanisms I have seen rely on two feet, each with a VERY large footprint. Each footprint is large enough to support the weight of the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Curved Feet —Matthias Jetleb
      /nitpick on/ (...) Technically, you can't move your knee joint laterally. As for lateral toe movement - it's so small as to be trivial. /nitpick off/ Matthias Jetleb VA3-MWJ (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Curved Feet —Andy Gombos
     Well, if you read the page, you will find that they did papers on this principle. Try looking one directory back. Anyway, in the paper A 3-D passive-dynamic walking robot with two legs and knees, they described how they built the robot. Since thier (...) (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Curved Feet —Juergen Stuber
     (...) How about curved railway track? IIRC that gives you pieces about 16 studs long (little less for inner rail, more for outer) with an angle of 1/16th full circle (22.5 degrees). You can then call the beast "big foot" :-) Jürgen (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Curved Feet —Ka-On Lee
   (...) Many Znap set have smooth curve part. They can be connected to Technic parts. (23 years ago, 23-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)