 Robotics / 14617
Re: What AC adapter to use for RIS 1.0?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:10:55 GMT

Hello everyone, I've just signed up to this mailing list and it looks like
there's a lot of cool information being passed around here.  Anyway, I
have an RCX 1.0 with the power jack.  Some time ago, I noticed the
markings in the plastic above the jack.  Since I know something about how
such power supply circuits work, I figured that there would be a bridge
rectifier, some smoothing capacitors and a voltage regulator providing
power when using the AC adaptor.  This type of circuit will happily run
off DC input as well as AC.  So, I took an old multi-adapter, set it on
12V, and plugged it in.  Everything worked fine!  I flipped the polarity
switch on the adapter back and forth a few times, and the RCX didn't
care.  So, any old DC adapter in the 12V range should do fine.  The only
thing to watch out for is the current capacity of the adaptor.  Whoever
said 7A was probably misquoting or given a misquote.  That would be one
heckuva big brick.  IIRC the Lego motors will draw less than 200 mA when
stalled, so for a project with 3 motors, a 700 mA brick would be fine.  If
anyone wants me to post more accurate measurements, just let me know and
I'll test some motors, lights, the RCX, etc.

mgallant