 Robotics / 14558
Re: What AC adapter to use for RIS 1.0?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 06:08:00 GMT

All the info I found was, that I need a 10V 7VA adapter for it.

This is a follow-up to your earlier questions about what adapter to
buy.

I took apart my RCX this evening and started poking around inside. The
bulk of the electronics is powered through a National Semiconductor
LM2936M SO (Small Outline) package (8 pin). According to National
Semiconductor's datasheet on the little beast (document # RRD-B20M61
for those that want to look it up), the device is an "Ultra-Low
Quiescent Current 5V Regulator"

The device has the following ratings:
Temperature Range -> -40C to +125C
Maximum Juntion Temp. -> +150C
Input Voltage (survival) -> +60V to -50V
Input Voltage (operational) -> +40V (max)
Rated Output Current -> 50mA (max)
Short Circuit Current -> 120mA (max)

The rated output current would definately indicate that the motor
outputs are *not* regulated since one motor could easily exceed the
50mA rating. This implies that you could use a power supply up to
about 41VAC (the rectifier diodes have a drop of about .54V each and
the RCX would be protected by the regulator.

HOWEVER (and this is a big however...)

Since the motor outputs are not regulated, the maximum allowable
voltage would likely be limitied by the motor controllers themselves
(apparently 3 ELEX 10402B devices, one for each motor --- does anyone
know what these actually are?) The maximum voltage these devices can
withstand and the maximum current they can pass under load at that
voltage would then set the practical limit for a power supply.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ