 Robotics / 14601
14600  |  14602
Subject:
Need Decision Help - Buy RIS 1.5 now or 2.0 later
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 19:12:28 GMT

I need to make a decision about purchasing Mindstorms kits for my sons
school. We have decided to buy 5 or 6 RIS kits.  The question is, should we
buy 1.5 kits that I can get a hold of now or should we wait until fall to
get the 2.0 kits?

So far, I have heard that the 2.0 RCX brick is physically identical to the
1.0 brick.  It is not clear to me if there is any internal changes, does
ANYONE know?  I have heard that 2.0 kits are available in Japan.  Is there
someone from Japan who can confirm this?

My feeling is that the differences in hardware between RCX 1.0 and 2.0 is
insignificant since Lego has already released the RCX2.0 firmware which is
obviously 100% compatible with the 1.0 brick.  I'm sure that RIS 2.0 kit
will come with new software but that can certainly be upgraded later when it
becomes available.

There will almost certainly also be changes in the Lego pieces sold with the
kit but I would not expect a huge improvement in this area.

Thanks for any input.

Gus Jansson
Issaquah, WA USA