 Robotics / 14611
Re: Need Decision Help - Buy RIS 1.5 now or 2.0 later
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:04:46 GMT

Thanks to everyone who responded, both by posting and email.

I had a great time looking at Jin Sato's site as well as other Japanese
Mindstorms sites, thanks Juergen.  Isn't it odd that the Japanese version of
RIS 2.0 shipped back in November but here in the US we are not expected to
receive in until Fall 2001, almost a year later?

Here is another treasure that I found.  Go to the official Japanese Lego
Mindstorms site.  I found, among other things, detailed building
instructions for grabber arms and other cool Mindstorms contraptions.
  http://mindstorms.lego.com/japan
One curious item is that on a picture that I believe was for RIS 2.0, I saw
an RCX brick stamped 1.0.  Is that possible?  Are RIS 2.0 kits in Japan
selling with RCX 1.0 bricks?  I guess there really is no difference in the
RCX for RIS 2.0.

Back to my decision, It looks like the RCX is the same, or at least very
similar.  The changes in Lego pieces are minimal, basically 2.0 now includes
a fiber optic piece.  The IR tower is USB, nice but com port works well too.
That leaves software.  Hopefully the software is much improved given that
there is great room for improvement.  Given that I plan to use this in a
school, I will start the kids with RCX code but I can probably upgrade the
software later.  Unless the new software does not support the old com port
IR tower.

Gus