 Robotics / 14285
Re: saving me pennies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:35:46 GMT

kristin fullenwider wrote:

I just got my first computer ,a laptop actually. now I am saving my pennies
for the RIS set. I only knows how to do basic operations w/ computers, but I
learning all I can. have been following your e-mails for awhile and
understand this is no simple toy. now i am very interested in code and
cross-compiling. so, where should I start?
1. is there a 2.0 version of RCX?, if so should I get it or 1.5

Yes - there is a 2.0 RCX - but I don't think it's available quite yet.

However, you can install the 2.0 firmware on the 1.0 or 1.5 RCX's - so
that's not a reason to wait.  Probably the most significant thing about
RIS 2.0 is that the IR 'tower' connects to the computer via a USB port
rather than serial RS-232.

Not all laptops have a USB port - so check first!  If you don't have USB
then you should try to get hold of an RIS 1.0 or 1.5 as soon as possible!

2. to learn code; pdforth,NQC, and,C++ where do i start and, what book
should I get at the library?

That's a tough question.  Learning programming from scratch is probably
not best done on a Lego Robot.  Learn to program on the PC using C or C++,
Java, Python or VisualBasic (ugh!) - only when you have the basics straight
in your head should you start programming little embedded computers.

The reason is that you are going to make mistakes - LOTS of mistakes! - REALLY
SUBTLE MISTAKES! ...when that happens inside the RCX, you'll probably find
that you start the program running - and it just sits there....or drives
in a circle or something.  You get absolutely no feedback as to what you
did wrong.

On the other hand, running simple programs on your PC, you have a 'debugger' -
which is a program that lets you see where the program went wrong - and step
through it one line at a time - and so on.  You can also have your program
display things on the screen to help give you clues as to where its' dying.

The RCX is a pretty hostile environment for a beginner.

Still, I think you can do both - and I don't mean to discourage you from
getting an RIS set...just be prepared to do some programming on the PC
first.

As for good books...I learned to program in 1974...I doubt that many of the
books I learned from would be much use to you - so I have no advice in that
respect!

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>