 Robotics / 14054
RE: Was (Tank Platform)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:32:01 GMT

I know this isn't scientific or anything but this is what I have observed.
If I have a bot with a "crazy" wheel, the direction that that wheel is
pointing when the bot starts moving forward controls the bots direction more
than anything else.  And it doesn't seem to matter if it's a single or
double wheel narrow or fat, of course the easier it turns the better it is.

So back to another unrelated subject, doesn't the IR port on the RCX have to
be related to an RS-232 port?  It's receiving info from the tower that is
connected to the serial port on your computer.  I'm still trying to attach
my mouse to my bot (then maybe I can write a program that will tell me if
I'm going straight or not), I've got some pretty good programs at finding
light and dark things and heading straight for them but I've never found any
bot design to go absolutely straight, probably the best are variations on
the 6 wheel design in the mars exploration kit.

Wait, I just had an idea, I have a wireless mouse so why can't the bot drag
(push or pull) the mouse have the mouse communicate with the pc and then
have the pc decide if I'm going straight or not, so this comes back to the
question the grad student had about easy AI using mindstorms, and I thought
"yeah, right".

Well, lucky they only let me sit at the keyboard once in a great long while,
it's medication time, I have to go.

phil