 Robotics / 14051
Re: Ideal Tank Platform Was: adder-subtractor ????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:53:11 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:
   Both motors should be driven in 'forward' direction so if one
had a matched set of motors, you could perhaps achieve lateral
speed balance.
Well, if you read my *long* post from a week or so ago, you'll know
that motor mismatch makes up at least 11% of performance, motor
direction perhaps 1% or at most 2%, and HOW YOU BUILD YOUR MODEL
accounts for at least 7% ... even when you are being careful not
to trap axles.
Compared to those things, motor direction is almost irrelevent - and
certainly not worth much extra complexity.

   Yeah, I saw that. nice work, that. I figured I'd throw
it in anyway on the principle that eliminating error of any
source is always a noble cause. I like to use worm drives to
'turn the corner' anyway to get the extra torque so it's not
a design problem for me.

   If one we using the adder-subtractor drive that started this
thread, it'd all be irrelevant anyway.
Chris - Xenon
--
  Chris Hanson | Xenon@3DNature.com | I've got friends in low latitudes!