 Robotics / 14029
Re: Ideal Tank Platform Was: adder-subtractor ????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:38:34 GMT

Nickle, Steven (2511) wrote:

Distanse between inside edges of the treads:  10 Lego units  (this seems to
be the best distance for in place turning and not having too much flex in
the axles)
Length: 20 units  (Treads should be centered)
Ground Clearance:  No gearing or Motor housings belew tread axles  (Need to
be able to move on carpet without dragging)
Balance:  Weight from motor should be balanced and within the front and read
axles if possible (Make it stable driving over obstacles)
Motors:  Single steeing, dual drive acceptable for added torque.
Frame can extend out over tread, but not much past. (Drive motors pointing
inward to central gears?)

Anybody else have criteria they would like to add?

   Ideally:

   Both motors should be driven in 'forward' direction so if one
had a matched set of motors, you could perhaps achieve lateral
speed balance.

   Forward end of tracks should be slightly elevated to grab and
climb obstacles:

   <- Front

   *

      *       *

   instead of

    *              *

   Of course, this makes the length of the track shorter, and makes
it more prone to tipping backward. Elevated trailing wheels may be
necessary to 'catch' the chassis if it tries to go over backward.
Powering these wheels too would be nice, but I haven't gotten it
to work yet.

   I don't have a good camera to send pictures of my trackdrive,
but maybe this will inspire others.

Chris - Xenon--
  Chris Hanson | Xenon@3DNature.com | I've got friends in low latitudes!
      Learn about the new WCS Version 5!     http://www.3DNature.com