 Robotics / 14055
Re: Very Newbie Question regarding remote control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:58:11 GMT

I am persuing a grad level course in AI agents, and the course requires • that
I to do a project. One idea I have is to create a robot and have it do • something
AI-ish. Since I'm not very adept with hardware, using a Mindstorms robot • for
this seems ideal.

What I want to do is establish a system where the agent AI is hosted by a • PC
(so I can write it in ruby or whatever without limitations); the robot
communicates remotely (no wires) it's sensory information to the PC, and
then the PC sends remote commands to control the robot.

Good man :) Thats what we like more AI projects on Lego Mindstorms,  I
myself am finishing a
graduate degree off, with my Dissertation centred around Lego mindstorms
It's greate almost half my
degree result comes from playing with lego <g>) .  I also chose an  AI style
project.

My project unlike yours actually is completely run on the RCX block, with
the host computer just there
to plot pretty graphs and store data in case of battery failure.  All the
evolution (I'm working on evolutionary
code) Takes place on the RCX.

As for comms, the IR works better than you might expect, although I would
recommend using the legos
system, because it gives you a lot of power , ideal for AI ;) And also comes
with its own networking
protocol built in (LNP) , which is based on UDP , so all clever things like
addressing, and checksums are
handled for you automatically, all in all I'm very happy with everything
except the lack of inputs/outputs..

Trying to multiplex...dammmit it will work :)
- Ciaran