 Robotics / 14041
Re: Very Newbie Question regarding remote control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:28:54 GMT

Mechanically, LEGO is beautiful to work with.  The components are well
selected for rapid prototyping.  For example, you will find that the hole
spacing in the beams and the center-to-center distances of the gears ...seem
to work well together.

However, it is not always obvious how to make transitions between (say) a
beam and a brick.  This is not trivial;  you should count on doing some
guided projects out of the excellent literature available before you go off
inventing a new kind of AI floating platform.  I can promise that you will
enjoy every moment of this 'homework'.

Other, more knowledgeable folks will give you a better answer on the
software side.  However, the programmable brick (RCX) is a competent
computer on its own.  You design a program in pbFORTH or NQC (reduced
instruction set 'C') or others and transfer it to the RCX via an IR link.
The link works well at a short distance setting or long distance setting.
The program then runs independently.  There is an accessory IR remote (like
a TV remote) that lets you send 'messages' to the robot.  A message might
select a task or become a variable in a task.  My remote works well up to
perhaps 8 or 9 meters.  There is a VCR accessory set where the images are
processed in your PC and instructions sent back to the robot ...so I suspect
you can have your PC link within limits, but I don't know enough to explain
that.

And, make sure you can actually purchas an RIS 1.5 as they are hard to find
these days.

You can see a simple example of a lego project on my web site at
http://www3.sympatico.ca/jdkalpin complete with NQC code.

I hope this helps,

Jerry

In lugnet.robotics, Jake Baker writes:
Greetings all,

I am persuing a grad level course in AI agents, and the course requires that
I to do a project. One idea I have is to create a robot and have it do something
AI-ish. Since I'm not very adept with hardware, using a Mindstorms robot for
this seems ideal.

Before I pay $200 for the kit (which I might anyway...), I wanted an answer
to the following question. I cannot find an answer on the web, so I thought
I would just go ahead and ask here.

What I want to do is establish a system where the agent AI is hosted by a PC
(so I can write it in ruby or whatever without limitations); the robot
communicates remotely (no wires) it's sensory information to the PC, and
then the PC sends remote commands to control the robot.

Therefore, my question is: Is this possible to set up? If so, is it
relatively easy? I'm good with software, so its mainly the hw issue I have
questions about.

I thank you all for your patience and responses,
- Jake Baker