 Robotics / 13423
Re: Axle joiner angles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:13:54 GMT

I suspect the crux of your answer lies in the 3-4-5 triangle. [NOT! read
on to see why this isn't true!]

The complements of 112.5 and 157.5 degrees are 67.5 and 22.5 degrees. The
sum of 67.5 and 22.5 is 90 degrees. Add add a 90 degree angle and you get
a complete right triangle. [OK. Maybe this idea has some merit. None of
the rest seems to.]

Law of sins says sin A/a = sin B/b = sin C/c, where A, B, and C are
angles of the triangle
and a, b, and c are the lengths of the sides.
We'll use C=90 degrees. Let's let c = 5 stud-lengths. What then, must the
lengths of the other sides be?
, so sin C = 1, so
1/5 = sin 22.5/a = sin 67.5/b
A little algebra yields a = 3.22 and b = 4.62.

Hmmm. not what I expected. I wanted a=3 and b=4.

Let's see, the angles for a 3-4-5 triangle are
sin A/3 = sin B/4 = 1/5
A = inverse sin of (3/5) = 36.87 degrees.
B = inverse sin of (4/5) = 53.13 degrees
C = 90

Ok, that wasn't the answer.

Anybody else?

connect two axles at an angle.

The angles Lego have chosen to supply seem incredibly
non-useful (apart from the obvious 180 and 90 degree ones).

Each part also has a number on it. Here is a table of the
angles for each one:

  1 : 0 deg    (well, it takes just one axle)
  2 : 180 deg
  3 : 112.5 deg
  5 : 157.5 deg
  6 : 90 deg

Since it's most unlike the Lego designers to make parts like
these without thinking carefully about the choice of dimensions
and such, does anyone have *any* idea why they thought that angles
like 112.5 and 157.5 were useful whilst missing out the more obvious
ones like 120 and 135 degrees?  You get *lots* of them in RIS and RDS
sets - so they presumably aren't like that for some cosmetic reason
that's unique to a particular model.

There must be method in their madness - but I'm damned if I can see
what it is.

---
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>

___________________
$50,000 reward for Jill Behrman:
http://www.indiana.edu/~alumni/iuaa/jillbehrman

Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and
loses one of them. Does he not leave the
ninety-nine in the open country and go
after the lost sheep until he finds it?
---Luke 15:4. The Holy Bible (NIV)

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii