 Robotics / 13457
Re: Axle joiner angles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:02:27 GMT

"Constantine Hannaher" <constantine.hannaher@hooshome.com> writes:

And it occurs to me that the splines had to be set so that the half bushings
could be pushed together and lock when on the same axle.

Yes.

I would have to take a
look to see if that meant an odd number of splines or some other asymmetry.

No. There are 16 splines, and the axle joiners come in increments
of 360/16=22.5 degrees.

The connectors of type 3 and type 5 appear to bracket the
angle made by the studless beams, yet the studless beam
angle is not the same as the angle in the type 4
connector.

If you mean the single angle beam (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6629),
that angle is related to a 3/4/5 triangle, so that the
longer side becomes the 5-side of the triangle, and
the shorter side extends the 3-side.
It's ca 127=180-53 deegrees IIRC.
#4 is 135 degrees.

If you connect a #5 and a #3 with their enclosed angles on
the same side, you will have made a 90 degree turn,

You can make a circle out of 16 #3.  With more #3 you can make
other waffle-like shapes
(e.g. take 6 quarter circles and alternate direction),
it's a little like the 3D equivalent of scribbling.
Put in two #6 in the right places and you get a heart :-)

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/