 Robotics / 13442
Re: Axle joiner angles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:03:22 GMT

Oops. It looks like in your list you exchanged the labels of #3 and #5.
And it occurs to me that the splines had to be set so that the half bushings
could be pushed together and lock when on the same axle. I would have to take a
look to see if that meant an odd number of splines or some other asymmetry.
The connectors of type 3 and type 5 appear to bracket the angle made by the
studless beams, yet the studless beam angle is not the same as the angle in the
type 4 connector. If you connect a #5 and a #3 with their enclosed angles on
the same side, you will have made a 90 degree turn, if you connect two #5's
with their enclosed angles oppositely, you will have shifted an axle's axis by
the length of the connection. This is just in the realm of the flat. At least
two red type 4 are used to build the gull wing doors in the 8448 as already
pointed out.

In lugnet.robotics, Amnon Silverstein writes:
I think these just correspond to the splines on the old connectors which
they replace. I haven't checked it, but I think the splines are every 12.5
degrees. The connectors are too chunky to make accute angles, so they only
do the obtuse angles:

   0.0   #1
  22.5  accute
  45.0  accute
  67.5  accute
  90.0   #6
112.5   #3
135.0   #4
157.5   #5
180.0   #2

#4 connectors exist, but they are rare, and they are 135 degrees. They are in
8446 and 8448 and some other sets.

In lugnet.robotics, Brian B. Alano writes:
I suspect the crux of your answer lies in the 3-4-5 triangle. [NOT! read
on to see why this isn't true!]
Ok, that wasn't the answer.

Anybody else?

connect two axles at an angle.

The angles Lego have chosen to supply seem incredibly
non-useful (apart from the obvious 180 and 90 degree ones).

Each part also has a number on it. Here is a table of the
angles for each one:

  1 : 0 deg    (well, it takes just one axle)
  2 : 180 deg
  3 : 112.5 deg
  5 : 157.5 deg
  6 : 90 deg

There must be method in their madness - but I'm damned if I can see
what it is.