 Robotics / 13382
Re: "No Contact" Homebrew Train Sensor for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:03:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips writes:
Is there a photo that clearly shows the sensor in a fairly tight closeup so
that it can be judged how obtrusive/invisible it is? I skimmed through many
of the photos posted by you, Dave, and Tim but did not see one, although I
may have missed it...

I just looked through my pictures and I was surprised to find that I don't
have any that show the sensor.  I will snap a few close-ups tonight...

I took a few close-ups of the sensor last night, and uploaded them to
BrickShelf.  Check out:

The first picture is the sensor itself with a few "common" objects nearby
for scale.  The second picture is my reproduction of the exact setup that we
used the sensor in for the train show last weekend.  The third picture shows
a better enclosure that I built around the sensor last night, using a 1x2
plate, a 1x4 plate, and a pair of 2x2 tiles, all in dark grey.  (You should
be able to discern the construction details of this enclosure from the
picture.)  The enclosure serves two purposes: (1) hide the offending
non-LEGO component and butchered cable, and (2) protect the sensor from
getting snagged in the undercarriage of a passing train.

Chris,  I was just wondering if there was a decline in performance in the
enclosure as opposed to outside of it.  The enclosure looks great!

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/