 Trains / 8566
Re: "No Contact" Homebrew Train Sensor for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 23:32:08 GMT

Is there a photo that clearly shows the sensor in a fairly tight closeup so
that it can be judged how obtrusive/invisible it is? I skimmed through many
of the photos posted by you, Dave, and Tim but did not see one, although I
may have missed it...

I just looked through my pictures and I was surprised to find that I don't
have any that show the sensor.  I will snap a few close-ups tonight...

I also like the idea of doing a more formal write-up with pictures,
schematics, and part sources.  It shouldn't be a major project at all.

Before I forget to mention this, I got a private e-mail from John Barnes
today in which he reminded me that it is a good idea to wire a 100-ohm
resistor in series with the reed switch to prevent excessive current drain
and also possible damage to the reed switch if it is accidentally connected
to a motor output.

I'll be sure to include this info in my formal write-up.