 Trains / 8546
Re: "No Contact" Homebrew Train Sensor for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:32:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips writes:
As has already been reported by others, I built an automated railroad
crossing for the NELUG train display at last weekend's Greenberg show.  I
wanted to take a moment to describe the "homebrew" sensor that I used to
detect an approaching train so that others might benefit in their own layouts.

I might just add that while this was a bit over my head it work extremely well
and the sensor itself was very small and unobtrusive.  It was a non-LEGO
solution but I loved it and recommend it.

I think with some reworking it may even be possible to hide the sensor in/under
one of the ties themselves.

Is there a photo that clearly shows the sensor in a fairly tight closeup so
that it can be judged how obtrusive/invisible it is? I skimmed through many
of the photos posted by you, Dave, and Tim but did not see one, although I
may have missed it...

Thanks!