 Robotics / 13185
FW: Another DIY sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:04:41 GMT

I was throwing a mouse away the other day and instead took it apart to see
what makes it tick, well, it's a perfect rotation sensor.   I think it will
be almost twice as accurate as the lego rotation sensor, more as this
project develops.  I think it could be applied to the compass problem, but
you wouldn't get absolute accuracy,  about 12 degrees would be the best you
could hope for.  Also, I made a couple of light sensors from Radio Shack CDS
Photocells, Part No 276-1675, (under $3) they are more sensitive than the
lego light sensor and look pretty cool too.  I'll get photos.
phil

-----Original Message-----
From: John Barnes [mailto:barnes@sensors.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:39 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Another DIY sensor

Umm.

Did you consider buying a $5 computer mouse and gutting it?

No I didn't!  My laptop has a glide point thingy so I don't have box
full of dead mice! . But I should investigate! Thanks for the idea.

What would be really cool would be to find a way to get the
RCX to read RS-232 - then you could just duct-tape the whole
mouse underneath your robot!

That reminds me. A while ago now, someone here suggested trying
out the guts of one of those ball-less optical mice as the basis for
a sensor to watch the floor go by under the robot. Did that get
anywhere? Does anyone even know how those things work? Are
they still $50?

JB