 Robotics / 13283
13282  |  13284
Subject:
Ball-less mice (was :Re: FW: Another DIY sensor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:15:38 GMT

The optical mice that do not require a special tablet to operate all use the
same sensor, made by Agilent (formaly HP). It is the HDNS2000.
The spec can be found here:
http://www.semiconductor.agilent.com/cmos/hdns2000.html

Basically, this thing has 2 types of output:
- PS/2 (connects directly to a PC) (used by Microsoft and some Logitech mice)
- Burst quadrature (used by some Logitech mice)

Greetings,
David

PS: I believe that some mice are now down to $20~30.

That reminds me. A while ago now, someone here suggested trying
out the guts of one of those ball-less optical mice as the basis for
a sensor to watch the floor go by under the robot. Did that get
anywhere? Does anyone even know how those things work? Are
they still $50?

JB